Time for the obligatory year in review post. Ms. Zippy started #yearofrunning13 this year, so I thought I’d give it a go from my first real year of racing.
- Best race experience? By far the Rock n’Roll NOLA half relay that I did with my sister. It was my first race longer than a 5K, and I had no expectations for myself other than to finish. It was a beautiful day and New Orleans really came out to support the race.
- Best run? The 12-mile training run for the Food and Wine half. It was raining the entire time and I put in a pretty fast time. I felt like a badass.
- Best new piece of gear? Since I haven’t really gotten to use my Garmin 220 yet, I guess it doesn’t count. I’d have to say my Fuelbelt with number holder. It’s like my safety blanket and I can’t run without it.
- Best piece of running advice you received? “You got this.” From my sister before the half marathon. I get terrible race anxiety no matter how prepared I am. I even went so far as to write it on my arm as a reminder during the race. And you know what? I did. Even with a broken foot.
- Most inspirational runner? Actually, my husband. He doesn’t love the daily grind, but just keeps getting out there and getting it done, even without me there with him.
- If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Too much too soon. I took on race distances that I wasn’t ready to train for but I let myself get talked into. Time to slow it down and get back to basics.
I hope y’all have a great New Year’s! See you in 2014: the Comeback Year!